January 29, 2010

Mia Casa

I have always had this minor problem with getting emotionally attached to my homes. Even though most people would label me as a “social butterfly”, I truly am more of a “homebody”. I take pride in the places I live, the design & décor. I’ve written before about how I think that your home is a symbol of who you really are.

Since moving to Italy, I have not been able to decorate or design any of my apartments, because they all come furnished. This is actually a good thing because there is no way I could afford home furnishings here, but a bad thing because I have no freedom with the way I want my house to look.

I have been really lucky to live in this amazing building for the first 6 months of living here. Its adjacent to a gorgeous palazzo (palace) where famous Italians have lived. Both of my apartments have unique attributes, a lot of charm and most importantly, make me feel at home.

Its interesting how not only your home but your neighborhood makes you feel. Back home in Atlanta I refused to live anywhere outside of Virginia Highlands. I would not even go to the next door neighborhood of Midtown because that would mean I would change grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc.

I am a creature of habit. This same mentality is already happening here in Florence. I am moving out of this building, still within the incredible Santa Croce neighborhood (that I refuse to leave!!!), to another apartment within a palazzo. This time my co-worker found something brand new, with a terrace and located on a fantastic & festive street in Florence.

I am sad leaving my first nest in Florence, but really excited (and fortunate) to have found another beautiful place.

View from my bedroom window:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...