February 26, 2010

Back to enjoying Italy

So sometimes living in a foreign country is not all “peachy” keen. (Pesca, Peach is my nickname here FYI)......You get bogged down in the logistics of living somewhere and forget the beauty of your surroundings. This was my case of the 'Florentine Flu' that was going around.

Everyone I know has been sick, and its been cold & raining almost constantly for the past several months. Thankfully, I did not get the actual flu, but was starting to feel a little run down, and outright “annoyed” living here. The lack of organization (especially dealing with their public healthcare system), then inaccessibility of everyday household products, and overall bad attitude from Italian women was starting to get the best of me.

So after a lot of annoyances lately, I had a great day yesterday. I rode my bike around Florence, went into some of my favorite shops with one of my favorite friends, and just thought to myself – Why be so critical? Life is actually a lot simpler here, less complicated and without a doubt more exciting. The people I have formed relationships with are extraordinary, the beauty of my surroundings is magical and my overall feeling is truly happy.

I suppose you have to go through these emotions to remember that every place doesn’t work like America does, and you just have to learn to be patient, and go with the flow. Adapt to your surroundings, and be thankful that I have an opportunity to be in one of the most special places on Earth. There is a reason why people from all over the world come here on a daily basis, its the feeling you get when you walk down the street, hear music & church bells and see lovers hand in hand.

This is why I love Florence, and why I am going to stay.
P.S. The sunshine came out today!



(Photo courtesy of a special someone on my birthday)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...