September 14, 2010

Daily life : Numero Cinque : "Ciao Amore!"

Nicknames in America include darling, sweetie, honey, baby cakes, sugarpie, and where I am from, it's 'Baby girl' or 'Boo'.  American men rarely use these lovely terms of endearments, at least not on a regular day to day basis like they do here in Italy. With a quick glare & wink of the eye, complete strangers yell out on the street to you "Ciao Bella!!!" or "Ciao Bellisima!!!" (Hello Beautiful)!!  I hope you can picture this properly: Men of all ages, even the senior citizens sitting in the piazza with their other retired friends will stop, wink and say "Ciao Principessa!! (Hello Princess!!!)

What is a girl to do? I have to be honest, some days it does get tiring. But at least they are forth coming with their emotions right? It is a welcomed change to the emotionless men I dated back in the United States who were too embarrassed to call you "Darling" or "Sweetie" in front of their guy friends. Here, its like the men are trained from a young age to be flirtatious with women, and believe me........it sure is fun. 

When you start dating an Italian, the words like "Ciao Amore" (Hello love)  or "Ciao Tesoro" (Hello treasure) NEVER get old. Yes, they might say that to your best friend when you aren't looking, but when they say it to you, it feels good, different, and you do believe them.. Bravo to the Italian men for speaking how you feel. Bonus points for you! 

"American Girl in Italy" Florence 1951 by Ruth Orkin

6 comments:

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

here from leigh's place and your post there. i am late too the party, i realize, but here, nonetheless. and someday i hope to be where you are at right now.

Elaine A. said...

Erin from the Mother Load sent me to your blog and I already love reading things from your perspective.

And I'm a import to Louisiana from TX and my hubs now calls our kids "Boo" all the time! HA!

Now I'm going to tell him he needs to say "Ciao Bella" to me more often.... :)

leigh said...

I would LOVE that!

JM said...

Very cool post and wonderful image you have chosen.

Ian said...

excellent

Christy said...

After my Italian beau read this post, he dropped the "bella" and now says "boo"!!! how's that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...