September 13, 2010

Guest blog : Leigh vs Laundry

My guest blogger is a dear friend from college, who does an incredible & very witty blog about her life as a mom & home maker. She is absolutely hysterical, creative, has two darling little boys and a fabulous husband. Please visit her blog Leigh vs Laundry and make sure to click on the "Follow" icon to stay informed and entertained on her happy life and extraordinary journey ! I want to be like Leigh when I grow up. Grazie tutti, Ciao!


COME AWAY WITH ME


I live vicariously through the lovely Christy who gallivants her way through Italy. Her life, to me, is so inspiring. How she chose to move to Florence with such a sense of hope and adventure. I love to read her blog and find how she is or what she is discovering on her journey. A guilty pleasure of mine is to pretend that I live in an old Italian apartment far away from my home, like she does.

While I am loading the dishwasher, folding laundry, or doing any other mundane task, I like to imagine that I am planning a dinner party at my sweet apartment for some new found Italian friends. I make up a menu, pick out flowers for the table, and even imagine going to an open air market to fetch the ingredients. It makes me feel so exotic.

So, maybe I have a tendency to romanticize things but I am okay with that. So, in my tiny pretend Italian kitchen, I would prepare one of my tried and true recipes...

pasta with asparagus, chicken, and gorgonzola
1/2 pound fresh asparagus
1/2 pound linguine

1 tablespoon butter

1 cup thin strips chicken

1/2 cup heavy cream

red pepper flakes to taste

1 and 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallotsdash of nutmeg
2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese (crumbled)
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Trim and clean the asparagus. Cut into 1 and 1/2 inch lengths. Blanch in boiling water; set aside. Cook the linguine until al dente, drain, and set aside. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Stir-fry the chicken until browned. Whisk in the cream, red pepper, shallots, and nutmeg. Add Gorgonzola cheese, stir until melted. Add the tarragon, asparagus, and linguine. Toss well. Place on a warmed platter. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Oh, and desert would be the lovliest.
These little grapes are so fun to eat
as you pop them into your mouth and swoon over each bite.

Grapes rolled in almonds and ginger

1 package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger

15 to 10 seedless grapes, washed and thoroughly dried

1/2 cup almonds, toasted


Blend the cream cheese and ginger in a bowl with an electric mixer. Stir the grapes into the cream cheese mixture to coat. Chop the toasted almonds finely. Roll the grapes in the almonds. Place them on a wax lined plate. Chill until firm.

Of course, this would all be topped off with wine and fantastically stimulating conversation, in Italian, of course.
I really must thank Christy for being so brave and for sharing her experiences and observations. I always knew that she would do amazing things and I love to go with her on this soul searching journey.

Even if it is only in my daydreams.

13 comments:

Sue said...

That daydream is pretty appealing! In fact, I can almost taste it.

;)

Kelly Lund and Kids said...

Mmmm Dinner sounds lovely!! What a darling blog... I clicked to follow Christy's adventures... Let the daydreaming begin!!

Christy said...

Thank you for coming!! I am making the pollo, asparagi e gorgonzola tonight! Yumm-o!

The Blue Zoo said...

ooooh! I want to try those grapes. Sounds so good!!

singedwingangel said...

Ok the asparagus thing had me till ya said gorgonzola lol.. but now the grapes I could so do in a heartbeat..

Snuggle Wasteland said...

If you're looking for a shorter trip you can come to KY and make that for me. I have wine.

The Crazy Baby Mama said...

love it! yummmmmmmmmmmmm...

The Blogging Goddess said...

Love those recipes. Is there anything you CAN'T do??

Inspiring You To Save! said...

Visiting from the Blog Hops! I love your site. I can't wait to get to know you better. Stop by when you get the chance. I have a Meet Me Monday blog hop and I would love if you could join in. Its the first thing posted on my site.

http://www.inspiringyou2save.com

Erin said...

I'll be right over for dinner----well, maybe not *right* over, as I'll have to catch the next flight overseas! But you can cook for me anytime---sounds divine! I came over from your guest post at Leigh vs. Laundry and am your newest follower!
;-)

Erin said...

um, I am a dummy b/c I forgot that was Leigh's recipe, etc.....oopsie. I promise I am not normally that slow. It's the end of the day here and my kids have worn me down.

I'm a moron!!!!

leigh said...

Christy-let me know how you enjoy the pasta. It is soooooo yummy. Thanks for blog swapping with me. It looks like you grabbed a few more followers! Hooray!

Colie's Kitchen said...

You have a great blog!! I am really enjoying looking around. Thanks for sharing!! I am now a new follower!! Nicole @ colieskitchen.com BTW I found you on a blog hop!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...