November 7, 2010

The Duomo in all her glory

I have had several conversations with Italians about the beloved Duomo here in Florence. Many say that it is masculine because it's name is "Il Duomo". However I, along with many other Italians prefer to think of her as a woman "La Chiesa" (the church). She is the symbol and centre of all life here in Florence. I never get tired of seeing her, she protects me like my mother. When I have challenging days living abroad, I look up at her glory and magnificence, and somehow my worries go away. 


Inspired by a friend in San Francisco who took a beautiful photo of the Duomo at sunset, and also knowing how special sunsets are to me & my father, I decided to climb Giotto's Tower to catch the sun falling over my adopted city. It was a crisp night in Florence, and when I arrived there was a medical emergency so the tower was closed. Normally, I would of rushed back to whatever I was doing before & rescheduled my adventure, but I decided to wait this one out. I am learning to be patient living in Italy. An hour later, just ten minutes before sunset was supposed to begin, they let me in. I tried not to rush up the 400 stairs, in fear of passing out from a headache, but I really did not want to miss it.


I got to the top just in time and was able to enjoy the sunset all to myself.  The photos below are the result of my experience gazing over the horizon at the Florentine hillside, my neighborhood Santa Croce (2nd photo) and the glorious Duomo with full moon behind her. I hope you enjoy!

Il Duomo

Santa Croce Neighborhood

Piazza Signoria & Piazza Repubblica


7 comments:

Robbie R said...

Very cool, Christy! Thanks for sharing this travel experience...

Cheryl said...

Wonderful photographs on a beautiful night in FLorence. Glad you got to experience it!

Natalie said...

Beautiful pics! I love this time of day, when all the lights start coming on..

Maggie said...

*sigh*

This makes me miss it so much but I am so happy to see these awesome pictures. Great post, thank you!

Loree said...

So beautiful. It must have been so cool to be up there and able to capture the sun setting over Florence.

LindyLouMac said...

As I sit here at the computer with the torrential rain beating against the house, it is wonderful to see these beautiful photos and be transported to another time before the rain arrived this autumn.

Christy said...

Thank you guys so much for all the wonderful comments, I feel so lucky to be surrounded by such beauty everyday. As I sit here, the 17:45 bell chimes from Santa Croce are ringing beside me. Bliss. Un abbraccio tutti!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...