January 24, 2011

Street art

Florence is obviously a place where creativity thrives. Unfortunately, that also includes graffiti. My entire neighborhood is covered with graffiti and tags from street artists. I am not really sure why this bothers me so much. Maybe because I don't understand why they have to destroy the outsides of the beautiful old buildings? Maybe because it's harder to remove? or maybe I do not understand the value of street tags & graffiti'd images. A part of me thinks I should enjoy the dynamic between the old & new artistic expression :


 I thought about this because last week this art installation, which is also illegal, appeared on the Ponte alle Grazie bridge. I do not know the meaning behind the black figure facing the Ponte Vecchio, in a pose like he is stepping (or falling) into the Arno River, but it does not offend me like graffiti does.  In fact, I think its brilliant. It is so random and alluring, I want to go see it everyday. It could also be intriguing because you don't know when the city will remove it from the bridge.

The street artist name is Clet Abraham, and has been known for other street art samplings around the city. Images of devil horned heads on street signs, crucifixion symbols on the T sign (dead end). This is personally my favorite so far..Whats next?


2 comments:

LindyLouMac said...

Graffiti has of course been around for thousands of year, I wonder if it has also always upset people or was it once acceptable?

Angel said...

Beautiful photos! Lovely blog sweet lady! I found your blog via Ashley Sisk's page. Love it! I can't wait to come back & learn a little about you :]
~Angel www.livinginaperrytale.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...