May 7, 2011

Pasqua, South of Rome ♥

Easter was fast approaching, and I was feeling a little sad not being with my family this year. Holy week is an important week for us back in Atlanta, so I felt a bit lost not partaking in services or being with them. At the very last minute by boyfriend called me and said "Pack your things, you are coming home with me for Easter weekend". I was absolutely thrilled! Not only to spend the time with him for the long weekend, but to also have the opportunity to meet his wonderful family.

A few hours later, we were in Rome having dinner, waiting on our slow regional train to take us to his seaside town of Terracina. I love how quickly you can be in another part of Italy, and it feels like an entirely different country. You could smell you were close to the sea, breathing the fresh cool air. A welcomed change from the unfortunate polluted air of Florence.

 

'Pasqua' is Italian for Easter. So, that Sunday morning, I awoke to the most amazing smells coming from the kitchen. His mother had prepared the most incredible meal, all fresh seafood from the local port. Calamari, polpi e vongole 
(Calamari, octopus & clams). 

 

In the afternoon, we decided to take an afternoon trip to Sperlonga, another coastal town in this area. It reminded me a lot of the Pueblos Blancos of Southern Spain. Narrow, hilly buildings, filled with white, cream & taupe materials. A very different feeling than the colors I recently saw in Veneto and also here in Florence. 


I feel fortunate to have been invited into their home for the holiday. The family was so welcoming to me, even with my limited Italian.
Smiles, laughter and hugs will always remain universal symbols of happiness.



2 comments:

Tina said...

Yeah! wonderful post! So happy for you. Happy late Easter.

Murissa Maurice said...

Lovely post! The food looks delicious. I always wanted to be a part of an authentic and locally made Italian family dinner. Luck you!
While I found aspects of Rome enjoyable, it was too spread out and vast for my liking, which is why I loved Florence and Venice and other small towns of the Veneto. However, the coastal area you visited looks amazing and I would even consider giving Rome a second chance just to see areas like this! or to taste food that looks like that!

The Wanderfull Traveler

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...