July 26, 2011

Beautiful Holland

Last week I was so fortunate to visit my elementary school friend Nienke. We met in third grade, when her family moved from Holland to Atlanta. We became fast friends, and fast forward 20 years, we are still just as close. Years of pen-paling, then the invention of the internet, now staying up to date via Facebook, we have never lost speed. 

 The beauty of our friendship is that it has always been the same, no matter where we are living, no matter the year, no matter the moment. As her mother recently said, "You pick up where you left off, and nothing changes". She has a beautiful family, two little boys (and another on the way), darling husband, charming house and cute little garden. Seriously amazing.

Everytime I visit Holland, I love it more. The people are so polite and cordial everywhere you go. The weather changes every 10 minutes, and the atmosphere is very relaxing. Amsterdam is bleeding with creativity, and the countryside is absolutely gorgeous. In some of the smaller towns like Wassanaar & Haarlem,  I felt like I was on a movie set, it was that charming. 

Some of the highlights of the visit where the bike ride through the forest with kids in tow, shopping in Amsterdam at the boutique stores, eating Indonesian food for dinner (YUMMO!), and the endless conversations we had about our lives & our families. 

I feel very fortunate to hop on a plane to Holland within a few hours, and blessed to be friends with Nienke.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

What a lovely post. It is nice to keep in touch with old friends. I recently spent time with a friend from grade school as well... It was fun to catch up.

Jessica said...

I have a friend like that, she moved away for awhile, we talked at least once a week, then moved back and it's like she was never gone. They are the best!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I love friends that you can catch up with like you never left. Special for sure.

Jules8 said...

Just discovered your blog! Very nice post. Looks like it was a wonderful visit!

Murissa Maurice said...

Looks picture perfect!
What a great setting to meet up with an old friend.
Thank you for sharing your lovely meeting in a unique space.

Check out my facebook page and follow the link. Vote for my photo and have a chance to win a $100 gift pack with Canadian souvenirs and my travel photography. "The Wanderfull Traveler"

The Wanderfull Traveler

Annabella said...

A lovely post - how wonderful to have such a good friend. I love Holland too although I have only visited Amsterdam, which was fabulous.

Linda D. said...

Found your comment on Leigh vs Laundry and just had to pop over and see what you're all about! What a lovely post about life long friendship and your love of Holland. I've spent several working vacations in Amsterdam and also Leiden University. Always lovely and always beautiful there! Enjoy!

Christy said...

Thank you all for the nice comments, I feel lucky to have such great friends & readers. Love, Christy

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Catching up after a week away from the computer. Friends like this are the very best. I will be back to post on La Dolce Vita just need to get myself back in the swing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...