August 1, 2011

La Dolce Vita - Church bells

Ciao Y'all! I hope you will continue to join me in the weekly postings for La Dolce Vita (The Sweet life). It has been really fun the last few weeks to meet new friends & expats. Please follow instructions below to join the blog party! 

❣ ❣ ❣

I love the sound of church bells. I live on a high floor, so I can hear them throughout the day. The ones on Sunday morning are always the most beautiful because it is all the churches in Florence ringing at the exact same time. 

 It makes me feel joyous, harmonious and gives me a sense of peace. I love them so much because it reminds me of being at church in Atlanta. I am reminded of the beautiful services of Christmas & Easter. Back home, I never really heard church bells, except when services were letting out on Sunday mornings. So, I am fortunate enough to have this everyday in Florence.

I will never forget the first time I heard the call to prayer in Jerusalem for the Muslims, this is not too dis-similar from the feeling of contentment from hearing church bells for Christians. I cherish the daily reminders. 

I had difficulties getting a solid video from the viewpoint of my apartment, so I am borrowing this video online that has a beautiful view of the Duomo with sounds of the church bells. 

"Do you love Italy as much as I do? Join me in sharing with others about our passion for "La Dolce Vita"


The rules are simple : Every Monday, write about something you love about Italy, or your sweet life in general, then grab my icon and add it to your post.






La Dolce Vita



Most important, do not forget to link up here so everyone can read about your adventures with all things Italian, Grazie belle!


9 comments:

Why Rome? said...

We live next door to a little church, and the church bells ring every morning at 8:00. It always makes me smile.

Thanks again for the weekly series! My post is now up. :-)

Birgitte Brøndsted said...

I totally agree! Church bells are wonderful. We can here the bells from San Lorenzo :-)

Natalie said...

How beautiful! I sometimes have to stop myself and remind myself to pause and listen because I've become so used to the background bells. Spoiled!

My latest is up as well.

Theresa said...

Oh Christy! I looove this post. I absolutely love the sounds of church bells. I completely agree with you that they bring a feeling of joy and peace. I remember climbing to the top of the bell tower last year and the bells started going off! It was crazy being up there! Maybe we can check it out when I'm there since we'll both be living super close to Duomo! =P Thanks for making my Monday great!

Cheryl said...

I could hear the church bells ringing in Krackow Poland yesterday. Also at St. Mary's church on the main square a bugle plays from the high church tower every hour on the hour. The people stand below looking up and waiting for it. I can hear it from my hotel window several blocks away? Its very cool!

the southern hostess said...

So glad I found your blog! I can't wait to follow along.

Barbara said...

Lovelovelove church bells, which you might have figured out from my video!

Murissa Maurice said...

Sorry I haven't commented in a while. I have been out of town!
In Italy I loved waking up to the lovely sound of the church bells. In Venice I stayed in a religious dorm-like hotel that was connected to a church but my room also overlooked about 3 others. It was lovely hearing all of them each morning and night.

The Wanderfull Traveler

Deborah said...

Oh, how I miss church bells. They give one a sense of place & time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...