August 22, 2011

La Dolce Vita - Italian Ragu & Usa!

Wow! I will not lie, I am a little overwhelmed on what to write about on my blog! Antonio and I have been back in Atlanta visiting my friends & family for the last two weeks. We have been so busy and having so much fun that it has been impossible for me to find time to sit down and write. The never ending challenge of work & play when life is filled with so much good stuff! I promise to crank back up with the La Dolce Vita & Happiness projects in these upcoming days. 

Over the next few weeks I am going to dedicate my entries to the things we experienced together as an Italian American couple, who for the first time spent time in the United States together. We have only been together while being in Italy, so it has been unbelievably rewarding to have him here with my family & friends. 

One of the most fun nights we had was the second day we arrived in Atlanta and made homemade Italian Ragu for my family. There are no local markets near my parents house, so we headed to Whole Foods to pick up some fresh goodies : celery, carrots, garlic, onions, parmigiano reggiano, ground beef, tomato sauce & pomodorini (small tomatoes). 

 

Cut up the celery, carrots, onions & garlic then saute in a pan with olive oil.  Add a pound of ground beef to brown, tomato sauce & pomodorini. Let simmer for 45 minutes on low heat. Before removing add a handful of zucchero to your sauce.

 



Gather some flour, butter & milk and mix together slowly to create your besciamela sauce ! Pour in ceramic pan your besciamela, cooked extra large penne pasta, then layer similar to lasagna. Shave as much parmigiano reggiano as possible on the top! Put in oven on medium heat for 30 minutes. 



Kiss the cook and enjoy your meal! Che Buona!!

I love this recipe that Antonio taught me, but for some great recipes visit my new obsession at David Rocco's Dolce Vita : http://davidrocco.com

 "Do you love Italy as much as I do? Join me in sharing with others about our passion for "La Dolce Vita"


The rules are simple : Every Monday, write about something you love about Italy, or your sweet life in general, then grab my icon and add it to your post.






La Dolce Vita


 
Most important, do not forget to link up here so everyone can read about your adventures with all things Italian, Grazie belle!

4 comments:

Birgitte Brøndsted said...

Ciao Christy! :-) Just wanted to send you my very best. I am home like you (in Copenhagen). Just managed to post a La Dolce Vita contribution - last minute :-)

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

I love making meals for my family when they come to visit me! (since I didn't do any cooking while I was recently there) Makes me feel like a Rock Star!

Murissa Maurice said...

I too love David Rocco! His Lazy Man's Lasagna is so delicious. I like to add Ricotta to it.

Very excited for your posts!

The Wanderfull Traveler

Theresa said...

Mmmm I shouldn't be reading this so late at night. I'm getting SUPER hungry! I LOVE David Rocco, do they play his show there too? He's from Toronto as well, they play his show every day here. I had it on my PVR at home and learned how to make the best 5 minute tomato sauce from him, I never knew it was that easy! Hope you continue your wonderful time back home. Must feel great! xoT

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...