September 23, 2011

Giving in to what I know - cup o' Joe?

I have learned so much about myself in the last two years of living abroad in Italy. I have learned that I love to eat fresh food, take walks, and ride my bike along the river. I have learned to be more patient about day to day activities & interactions with people. Soon, I will be writing an entry about some of the things that really bother (and quite frankly) upset me about living here, because the truth of the matter is : Everything is not easy and everything is not perfect. 

After moving into my new apartment with my boyfriend, I immediately felt more at home. I finally decided to stop trying to adapt in every single way to the way Italians live, because at the end of the day, I am American. I want to wake up in the morning and have my extra size cup of coffee, because I am tired of having 3 espresso's everyday to keep me going. I want to have personal products that I cannot buy here, so I load up on them when I go back to America. I want to have beautiful furnishings in my house that arent shabby, so I go and buy them. For so long, I have just tried to "settle' for lots of small things that I really don't like. 

After going to 7, yes 7 stores in the historic center of Florence, I found this 20 euro coffee maker outside the city at the "Mall" Gigli. Thank goodness. Finding the coffee & correct size filters is another story :)

It's more than a cup o' Joe, it's balance!

3 comments:

keyboard said...

it's funny that you have adapted in this way! garth and i have been doing the same. We make Louisiana coffee most mornings...it reminds me of home, wakes me up a bit more, and is just a nice 'rite' to keep doing! i have to bring american coffee and filters back from the US every time i go though! :) love,elia

Birgitte Brøndsted said...

The beauty of living abroad is being able to take the best from two cultures and mix them into one (almost) perfect way of living...
Birgitte

Ps: Having said that I can't believe you prefer that American coffee over the Italian one :-) In Denmark we also traditionally drink the American coffee, but I sooo prefer the thick espresso! (with milk I admit...)

Cathi said...

I would definitely have to bring a few of my American staples with me to Italy, but coffee would not be one of them as I love espresso and the fact that it's small. Glad you are able to blend everything that makes your life feel comfortable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...