October 3, 2011

La Dolce Vita - Lucca

Sunday is my favorite day of the week because its the only day my boyfriend is off work. So we have the opportunity to spend normal time together, instead of feeling rushed to do things together late at night when he is finishing up. Our typical Sunday is normally sleeping in, taking walks, cooking together and having some R&R. Yesterday we decided that we wanted to take a little trip outside of Florence, so we looked on the map of Italy and picked Lucca. A town east of Florence, that neither of us had been to. 

An hour later we were on the train headed for a our little afternoon adventure. We arrived in Lucca and thought that it was a ghost town, which is fine by us because Florence is normally crowded with tourists and can be noisy from the scooters & ambulances. We walked around the historic center for a little while, then stumbled upon one street that was packed to the gills with people. If you live in Lucca, this is where you walk on Sundays, because you could hardly move from the crowds. A tiny, narrow street packed with some of the big brand shops, some interesting boutiques and dozens of little cafes & restaurants. We had a terrible map, and the roads there were very complicated, but that was part of the fun. We love getting lost on the small streets where no one else walks. It was like getting lost in Rome, but much much smaller.

All the women were decked to the nines. We saw lots of elderly people in Lucca who were out for their Sunday stroll, lots of families with babies, and zero cars inside the walls of Lucca. It always amazes me how different each town is here, the feelings & the attitudes of the people can be completely opposite only an hour away. The people were all so nice & polite everywhere we went.

A nice aperitivo to start, then a yummy dinner to finish the day. A fantastic way to spend the afternoon and feel like you are on a vacation. 


"Do you love Italy as much as I do? Join me in sharing with others about our passion for "La Dolce Vita"

The rules are simple : Every Monday, write about something you love about Italy, or your sweet life in general, then grab my icon and add it to your post.







La Dolce Vita




Most important, do not forget to link up here so everyone can read about your adventures with all things Italian, Grazie belle!

9 comments:

Cathy Powell said...

Lucca is one of my favourite places in Italy. I haven't been there for a while, but I really do want to go back there at some stage in the future.

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Yay, Lucca, we spent our honeymoon near here, throughly enjoyed reminiscing via your post. This will be my last link up with you until November Christy as we are off to visit our daughter.

leigh said...

Looks amazing!

Robert said...

Lucca is lovely. During a recent visit we had a nice lunch at a little bakery. I had a bit of trouble communicating that I wanted a glass of milk with my panino. I eventually said "like a bambino" thinking children drink milk. The proprietress brought me a good-sized glass of heated milk! I apologized for the miscommunication and asked for another glass straight from the fridge, insisting I pay again. She refused any more money and poured me a new glass from the less-than-cold carton on the counter used (I guess) for macchiato. It was delicious!

Murissa Maurice said...

Looks amazing! My Aunt and Uncle go here once a year to visit his family. I didn't have the time but next year maybe.
Just wanted to let you know that Vecu Magazine is up and so is your link. Thank you so much for helping me with the photography for my article!

The Wanderfull Traveler

Why Rome? said...

Sounds like such a lovely day! The antipasti looks delish, and the photo of you two is so cute! So glad you had a good time! :-)

On a side note, a friend of mine will be in Florence next week on her honeymoon, and I sent her a link to your blog and links to several posts for restaurant recommendations.

May said...

I came across your blog today through the expat diaries. And must I say not only was I delighted but also felt it was sheer coincidence. We holidayed in Lucca last month and stayed there for a week. Not only did we love it, I now miss the noise, bustle, awesome food and its shopping lanes terribly. I am your new follower as I want to continue reading your Italian adventures and continue falling in love with this beautiful country. I never wrote posts about my trip to Italy, maybe I will join you next week onwards with a few posts of my holiday there..:)

Christy said...

Murissa, Thank you for everything !!! I am so excited about the Vecu article. It is beautifully written about Florence, and the magazine is absolutely gorgeous. Y'all can see the link here:
VÉCU magazine http://vecu.weebly.com

Christy said...

Grazie for all the kind replies! We did have a fantastic day! Robert, I love your story about the milk, it makes me chuckle :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...