January 24, 2012

Yoga Paradiso - Week 1


I would like to welcome everyone to my 60-Day Yoga Challenge that I am doing in collaboration with the amazing yogis here in Florence at 19r Yoga & Pilates!

I first discovered yoga 18 months ago when researching alternative methods of relief for chronic headaches. I was at my wits end with the pain, and could not live with the amount of painkillers the doctors were prescribing me. I thought that there had to be another way to get through the suffering. I will never forget walking down the narrow, cobblestone streets of Florence feeling like I was going to tumble over from how doped up I was. Fortunately, my friend Shari who had just moved to Florence was also a yoga instructor, so I called her for some advice. She told me about all the health benefits of yoga, and how I would see a difference in the way my head was feeling after consistent yoga in my life. I feel very fortunate to have met her exactly at that moment here in Florence.

From then, until now I have already learned so much about my mind, body & spirit. Yoga has enriched my life in so many ways that I never knew were possible when I first signed up. After all, maybe through all the tremendous pain with the headaches there was a higher purpose for me? Over the next 60 days I would like to talk about my journey with yoga, the people at 19r Yoga here in Florence, and the challenges for myself through this incredible journey of self discovery.

Each week I will talk about an asana or pose that I am feeling good about. I have learned that every day is so different from the next, usually based on how my heart & mind is feeling that day. This week my favorite pose is Bakasana (shown below). I am so excited about this asana, mainly due to the fact that I have been working on my overall balance & upper body strength for a couple of months, so successfully holding this pose for 5 full breaths was glorious.

I hope you will follow along for the next 60-days and join this beautiful challenge with me!

Kathryn Budig : Bakasana Pose

4 comments:

Birgitte Brøndsted said...

I can't wait to follow these posts! I love yoga but I have abandoned it for several years now. It's definitely time to get back to it...

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

Wish I could do Yoga.. but I think I might break something!

ps.. I'll send you an email later this week to give you some tips for your visit in May.

Cathi said...

Sounds wonderful, I will definitely follow along.

Anonymous said...

Ciao Christy! I recently discovered your blog and have finally finished reading all the archived posts.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, giving insights into Florence, and for your amazing pictures.

I would love to pick your brain about Florence as I am hoping to move there in the next couple of years. (now I know who to contact for housing!) I was wondering if I could email you with some questions?

My name is Veronica btw : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...