February 7, 2012

La Dolce Yoga - Week 3

This week I wanted to write about how much I have learned about myself since starting yoga. I want to first say that I am very new to the world of yoga, I am a super, duper beginner. At first, the practice and some of the poses are intimidating because if you are like me you want to be really good, really fast. However, one of the really awesome things about yoga is that everyone gets to go at their own pace. You will be surprised how easy some postures you achieve quickly and how some will always be challenging. Finally, I am able to listen to my body, if something hurts, I stop doing it, if something feels great I keep doing it. It is so empowering.

Probably the greatest thing I have gained from practicing yoga is to be okay with my body the way it is, in whatever moment. A little back story here, a combination of things happened to me all at once : I moved to Italy, I fell in love and I started to not feel well from the headaches. What is the result? Weight gain.  I am only 5'2" (158 cm) and gained 25 lbs (11 kilos). I found comfort in food and found it extremely difficult to exercise. In the past, I always enjoyed going to the gym, lifting weights and taking aerobics classes. I was physically incapable of that sort of demand on my body now due to the pressure it put on my head, so I am thankful I found yoga. Yoga has helped me clear my mind, accept my body in whatever shape & size it is, but also help me focus my energy on the good things about my body & life.

I am still working everyday on everything I have mentioned above. I think in life its an ongoing process to find peace within ourselves, and practicing yoga helps me do this. A combination of soul searching, facing my inner ego, letting go of fears, accomplishing goals and having a really fantastic workout is what I am experiencing here in Florence at 19r Yoga & Pilates. Every class is different depending on what I bring to the class for myself that day, and the instructors are there to help guide you.

My new favorite asana (pose) is 'Ustrasana' (sanskrit) or 'Camel' pose below: It feels so good on my shoulders, legs, back and neck. Delizioso!


1 comment:

Tina said...

Great post! and for the record, you are beautiful! :) I am glad yoga is helping. I am going to have to try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...