March 5, 2012

Oh boy! Fresh Olio!

For as long as I have lived here, I have wanted fresh olive oil. The bright green kind that is so the most delicious olive oil you will ever taste. Finally last week while we were in Terracina, a neighbor gave us a gift to bring back to Florence- wouldn't you know it was OLIO NOVO! 

Unlike wine, where the older the wine is, the better it tastes, the newer the olive oil is the better it tastes! I am absolutely thrilled to have this bottle (and some extra too!) at my finger tips. Maybe if Mom is lucky a bottle will sneak into my luggage for the trip back to the United States soon. 

I think its time for an afternoon snack of toasted bread & olive oil! Truly, its the simple things in life!

3 comments:

Murissa Maurice said...

I love olive oil as well. That with some great cheese and bread, maybe some wine too, is the best snack or lunch.
I just learned this fact about fresh olive oil via David Rocco. He says that after 18 months the olive oil isn't any good! No idea that this was the case! I had bought some amazing olive oil at the Mantua market one day. Only 5 euro and it was delicious, locally made and fresh!

The Wanderfull Traveler

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

I think you know we have our own olive oil Christy, so you will not mind me offering a little advice about transporting some olive oil for your Mum. By a tin from the ferramenta and then wrap the can in cling film, much safer in your suitcase. We have taken it to Hong Kong like this successfully. Oh and remeber how heavy it is, a litre weighs a kilo!

Christy said...

Fantastic! Thank you for the tips! I am so excited to take some home for Mom, it is her favorite thing from Italy. I will make sure I pack it like you suggested. Sincerely, Christine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...