June 12, 2012

Weekend in Torino

We absolutely loved Torino. What a beautiful city! A group of us went up for the Coldplay concert at Olympic stadium, which was nothing short of amazing (as usual). I had always envisioned Torino to be an industrial city, so I was pleasantly surprised with how beautiful and well kept the city was. I was in HEAVEN with the art nouveau architecture, since I am planning my Fall wedding around this theme. I was told by a friend living there, that since the Olympics, there has been a major revitalization of the city.

The grande & elegant piazza's, beautiful loggia's, and some unbelievable shopping were some of the highlights of our trip. They also have some incredible museums there, one of the largest Egyptian museums in the world, and our favorite was the interactive, Cinema Museum (my brother would of been in heaven!). It also has the best overlook of the city, so prepare to wait or make a reservation ahead :)

Another highlight was meeting up with Sonia from My Sweet Monkey who writes a darling blog about life as a Mom in Torino. She gave me great insight about her life in Torino, which was eye-opening for me comparing to my life in Florence. It is moments like this that I feel really lucky to travel to cities in Italy, meet other expat women, in these beautiful settings, and talk about our lives here. 

If you get a chance, try to make plans to get to Torino, it is worth it, and make sure to pack your camera battery (Bad Christy!!)  I loved the exterior of this pharmacy: elegantly French, Italian & Greek inspired. Che bella!


7 comments:

Birgitte | a dusty olive green said...

I can only agree with you. Personally Torino is my absolute favorite city in Italy after Rome. (I know I shouldn't say this living in Florence, but it's the truth :-)) I have been to Torino three times for work and the city never fails to amaze me, especially when it comes to photography :-) Thanks for posting this. Reminds me I have to go back soon :-)

Murissa Shalapata said...

Lovely! What a great idea to theme a wedding around such great architecture! I can't wait to see how it looks!

The Wanderfull Traveler

Cathi said...

Sounds like an amazing place - another city to put on my list! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Torino is my favorite city too....sorry Florentines. So elegant, streets you think you can eat off of they're gleaming and clean, no (or hardly any) ball-busting beggars, and the best part, the locals who appreciate American tourists and genuinely ask why you're there, as opposed to eye-rolling and unfortunate stereotyping found in Firenze. I've been there several times and most recently with my boyfriend as he had a job interview. One thing I found interesting was the quartiere with the most immigrants reminded me of little sections of ethnic pride you'd find in NY or many parts of the US. Music in different languages blaring, people being free, signs written in their native tongues... As soon as I find a job there, or especially my boyfriend, we're moving.

Christy said...

Thank you for all the comments!

Dear Anonymous, I absolutely understand your perspective and agree with you! This negative attitude from the local people in Florence does become tiring. I think it has become this way because tourism is so much more prevalent here than in Turin. So it's still "new" for Turin, where in Florence they are exhausted and quite frankly don't care to appeal to tourists anymore. It is unfortunate for those Florentine people who aren't like this, but overall, and in my experience, it is this way and they will tell you it's this way.

I did feel much more "free" being in Torino than I do in Florence, which as I mentioned was eye-opening about life in Italy.

In bocco lupo with your move! I Wish you the best! Thanks again for your insight! X

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Turin has been revitalised by hosting the Winter Olympics it is true but somehow it is still not seen high on the list of city's tourists wish to visit. So for the time being remains unspoilt. It was interesting to read that you felt much more relaxed there.

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

It makes me so happy to read these comments and to know that my city is on the top of people's lists!

I'm so glad we were able to meet each other and chat about our lives. Listening to you talk about life in Florence makes me appreciate Torino much more.

Can't wait to meet up again.. either in Florence or Torino!

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...