August 17, 2012

Buon Ferragosto!

Buon Ferragosto tutti! Greetings from Terracina for the national holiday that takes place every August in Italy. This was my first Ferragosto because normally I always go back to the United States for this month. For us that live in Florence, people make their exodus to avoid the sweltering heat (and no AC!) by heading to the coasts of Italy. Fresh air, the sea & parties on the beach are what the people do here this time of year. 


At the stroke of midnight here in Terracina, thousands of people run into the ocean (some clothed, some not so much! I think I have seen enough weenie bikini's to last me a lifetime) Then the next day, families stay at home and grill out. We had lunch underneath the trees with family & close friends, then as tradition requires - you dump water all-over-each-other.  Obviously, I tried to avoid getting drenched by holding my camera in my hand - but that didn't work, my father-in-law dumped an entire bucket of water on me! Being the newest member of the family, I had to pay my dues.  It was good fun watching the children playing in the water, and the nonne (grandmothers) laughing with joy since they are immune to the water parade :)

There are no words for how much I love these people.


Today we woke up at the crack of dawn and took the ferry to Ponza, a small island off the coast of Terracina. Che carrissima! I am proud of myself for braving the 2 1/2  hour boat rides since I am deathly afraid of big boats, because this little island was absolutely darling. I have never seen water so beautiful than I did today. 

Swimming in the fresh, clean water was so glorious that I could of stayed there all day doing absolutely nothing. I wish you all well, wherever you are in the world! Happy summer holiday to all!










5 comments:

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

How fun! Glad you're having a blast!

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Life is wonderful, Buon Ferragosto a te. x

Murissa Shalapata said...

Lovely! So much colour in Italy! I miss it very much but will see it again next year. Looks like so much fun. My holidays are coming up next week on Friday! Heading to Vegas to celebrate the end of summer.

Great post and keep on having fun!!

little pink cakes said...

Wow, this sounds wonderful! And the picture of the little islands makes me wanna go there instantly...

Linda said...

Just wanted to share that I watched your episode on House Hunters International tonight (from US).

You two looked fabulous!

-linda, a longtime reader

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...