August 8, 2012

Summer gratitude

Ciao Blogland! Wow, I have missed you! It has been so long since my last post that I am finding it difficult to re-approach my blog. Hats off to all you writers out there that can manage keeping their blogs up to date, even daily - it takes so much work & dedication. So much has happened in the last month that it's hard to know what to write about. The one I do know for certain is that I feel a major shift coming really soon. 

Two of my dearest friends in Florence have moved away. For anyone who lives in Florence knows that this is part of the deal you sign up for. Florence is an ever-changing city (in terms of the people living here) - but this does not make it easier when your closest friends leave. The good news is that it will force me to break out of my little perfect world with my fiance', my set group of friends, and my colleagues.

Shortly after my civil service, my Mother became very ill so I went back to the United States. I have learned that nothing in this world is more important than your family, or whomever your support system may be. Life is too short and I take way too many things for granted. Through God's grace & one amazing team of surgeon & nurses - my Mother is going to be fine. Unfortunately, I had to learn this lesson on behalf of my Mother not feeling well, but it is absolutely, learned now. Each moment where I feel stressed or overwhelmed - I have to remind myself that God points us in the direction we need to be, in those exact moments. There are no mistakes in his timing. Living with gratitude for the things I have in my life are more important than striving (or in my case - worrying) about the things that I do not. 

I came back to Florence thankful for my family & my life I have here. I am thankful for the people around me that show me how : truly-awesome-life-can-be, in any situation. In 6 short weeks, my family & closest friends from the United States are coming to Florence for my religious wedding - and there are no words to describe how fortunate I am for this. 

I hope all of you are enjoying Ferragosto, and staying cool in the summer heat. Soon, we are leaving Florence for the coast, then I will be in Positano for a beautiful yoga retreat. Buon estate tutti!

Photo Credit, Angela Corrado / Te la do io Firenze


6 comments:

notchke said...

Happy to have you back and that your mother is doing well. You didn't tell us about your House Hunters Intl. episode. Just saw it and it was great. Antonio is a sweetheart and you both look so happy and in love. Congrats to you both. Looking forward to posts about the church wedding.
Nina in Michigan

lbbpropshop said...

I have followed your blog for quite some time as your expat adventures are fascinating to me.

I was thrilled to watch you and Antonio on House Hunters International tonight! Congrats, the show was great!

--Melissa Noonan

lbbpropshop said...

I've followed your adventures via your blog for a while now and was thrilled to see you and Antonio on House Hunters International tonight. It was a great show.

Glad your mom is on the mend. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

--Melissa Noonan

Cathi said...

Wishing your mother a quick recovery. I too have learned not to take things for granted! My fiancé had emergency surgery 3 weeks ago, which gave us quite the scare, but he is recovering nicely too. Enjoy each moment! P.S. I was watching House Hunters last night and it was your story!

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

So sorry to read about your Mum, life is so fragile and it is tough call when those close to you yet far away become ill. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

Christy said...

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments! It was a busy, but beautiful summer! Glad y'all saw the HHI episode! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...