December 16, 2012

La Loggia Lights

As part of the series of light installations throughout the city for "Festival delle Luci 2012", the Loggia dei Lanzi in Piazza della Signoria has been lit up magnificently.  Often I find myself rushing past these beautiful pieces of art because I have been blessed to live here, so like anywhere, once you live somewhere, start working, and become to busy to care anymore - you forget to stop and look around you. It happens here too! I start to take things for granted. 

It takes something out of the ordinary for me to slow my pace and say to myself "hold on a minute, they look different tonight". Thank goodness Florence is a mecca for all things creative, so it keeps me on my toes. I remember awhile ago the same thing happened. The Loggia was lit up in rose colored lights SO beautifully......... that reality check that Florence does so well telling me to "Slow down"

Tonight my favorite statue, plus a few others were lit in gorgeous white lights. From afar, as you are walking towards the Piazza, they almost look like they are floating. The Rape of the Sabine Woman is still something that makes my jaw drop, no matter how many times I have stared at it.

Rape of the Sabine Woman, Giambologna
"Hercules beating the Centaur Nessus" Giambologna

Medici Lion
Cellini's "Perseus with the head of Medusa"

5 comments:

Theresa Cheek said...

The lighting is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Why Rome? said...

So beautiful!

Murissa @TheWanderfullTraveler said...

I really loved the loggia as well. It was such a cool place to sit and rest your feet after touring the Uffizi and simply relax and people watch. I imagine it is a great place to munch on some roasted chestnuts too.

balenciagamos said...

Gorgeous! I've spent a fair amount of time people- and art-watching here as well! :)

mary jane cryan said...

grazie per le beautiful photos...and for adding my blog to your sidebar. Many happy years to you and your new husband.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...