March 1, 2013

Transitions

We have been back in the United States for exactly one month now and it hadn't really hit us what we were actually doing until this week. Our lives have been so busy with the move, seeing family & friends in both countries, traveling and being pregnant that it didn't set in until now once things calmed down. Obviously my husband and I are having different feelings about being in the United States because he is Italian and never lived abroad - so it's all so exciting, new and really motivating. For me being an American, returning back to my "old normal" is a different kind of feeling. I didn't realize how much I adapted to so many Italian characteristics until I came back the US. With that being said, I am VERY happy to be back here where things do seem a bit easier to manage for us and what we need for the time being. I firmly believe in the timing of things, and think that us being here is the best decision we have made.

The things we are already missing about living in Florence are:
-Walking everywhere you need to go
-Fresh foods! 
-the Aperitivo lifestyle
-long dinners without "Smart phones" & TV's
-commitment of friends

I feel like so many people in the United States claim to be "so busy" to get together, make plans, stick with them and happily follow through with showing up. People seem to be on their own agenda, packing so much into one day with no time to breathe. In Florence, we would get together with friends ALL the time - some casual nights, some festive nights, some afternoons for a walk, sometimes just for a coffee. Friends make time for you and you for them - and it was normal. Everyone is just as busy in Italy,  working their tails off too!, you just learn how to stop and cherish the good times. Here, it's not like that - at least not so far, and it really makes me sad and makes me miss my carefree lifestyle of Italy. 

The things we love about the United States:
-TARGET (sorry y'all but Target is the best thing since sliced bread)
-doctors appointments are comfortable, fast & informative (no more long lines at the ospedale!)
-24/7 drug stores
-MANI / PEDI in the awesome massage chairs for 30 usd (20 euro!)
 -The area we live in Atlanta is diverse: you have black people, white people, gay people, asian people, mexican people - acceptance of diversity is SO refreshing. 
-our perfectly clean, fresh & new apartment where everything works perfectly.
-balcony and city views
-A DRYER - doing laundry in on hour is nothing short of amazing
-home furnishing stores galore (Crate & barrel, Z Gallerie, West Elm!!!) it's so much fun decorating again!

We feel like if we could combine both lifestyles we would have utopia. But I suppose that is what all of this journey is about - finding the balance & good things about both places and concentrating on that. We hope to bring as much of our Italian lifestyle to the United States with our friends & family. Walk more, eat fresh, always remember to slow down and cherish the good things with the people you love - the rest of the "stuff" works itself out. 

Here are some new photos of our family, new neighborhood & new apartment! 
Midtown photo credit : Karolina Morsillo

6 comments:

Kacie said...

So glad you updated; I was wondering how the move was going! :-)

Birgitte | adustyolivegreen.com said...

What you write about people not having time for anything is exactly the same in Denmark and one of the things I can't stand. I have to "book" my friends weeks ahead when I go back home on vacation, even if it's just for couple of hours one afternoon. They all need a couple of lessons in being a bit more spontaneous and enjoying the moment instead of constantly looking ahead and making plans for the future. Good to hear you like it back home though. I'll stay in Italy and be spontaneous :-)

The Wanderfull Traveler said...

Congrats on the move, having a dryer and getting back to familiar habits with a mind to make it better.
I am very excited to be getting a Target here in my town. I have yet to even have been in one!

Murissa

Anonymous said...

OMG, my (Italian) boyfriend and I used to get into spats about the "social commitments are sacred" thing all the time in the early stages. As an American, I was used to a last minute "I'm tired/busy" excuses not to do something. I pulled them and so did my (American) friends. No biggie for me. For him: 'che figura di merda!' 'when you're invited and say yes, you HAVE to go.' He wrote off so many of my friends, initially, saying they were cretini, uncaring flakes, basically. Piano, piano I saw how things were done in Italia and by Italians and now I'm the one getting annoyed when my friends bail or are wishy washy on impegni! lol.

MsBeas said...

I loved those things about Italy too...even for the short time we were there!

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

How I envy you and the fact that you're near a Target again! (as well as home decor stores!) Glad you guys are adjusting nicely. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...