April 26, 2013

Livin' in America

We are already approaching our 3 month mark of being back in the United States! I cannot believe how fast time is going - which is a really good thing for me since I am over 6 months pregnant! We are still adjusting to the American life, but everything is going better than expected. Major culture shock hasn't set in yet.

We spent this month traveling again, this time up to New York City to visit with my father in law & brother in law from Italy. I know my husband really enjoyed being able to have fun with them, speak Italian and see each other face to face. There is only so much Skyping one can do - so time spent with family when living abroad is priceless. 

We just bought a car, a big one. All my friends are making fun of me since we got an SUV, because 5 years ago I would of sworn to you I would never own one of these. It is still an adjustment driving everywhere, on 8 lane interstates, where everyone is driving way too fast. I miss my bike Pepe', I miss long walks along the Arno River, I miss hopping on a train to be at the Cinque Terre in 2 hours.

They have now been replaced with nice, long walks at Piedmont Park and 2 hour plane rides to another city. This is just as lovely......but it's different. America is so big. We have to make the best of our location now and what makes sense for our little family. We have to protect our baby soon, so buying a bigger car makes sense. We have to save money - so going to Costco (dread!!) for diapers and toilet paper makes sense. 

We are thankful for our family & friends across the globe, our jobs and good health.  In the meantime, I will continue to day dream of our life in Italy and be happy we can experience both cultures no matter where our physical location is. 

1 comment:

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

All you need is for your hubby to start saying "y'all"!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...